The Mill is a registered charity, a non -profit organisation. Monies are raised by income from the rental of the facilities and go directly to the upkeep of the Mill and the surrounding grounds. The facility incorporates residential accommodation, comprising male and female dormitories, catering kitchen, classroom, laboratory, games room and dining room. The Mill building can cater for parties of up to forty residents. the grounds has space for large camping groups, ideal for Duke of Edinburgh expeditions.
A History of the Mill
The Mill is a converted watermill building. It stands in ten acres of woodland, with meadow, pond, swamp and stream. Located in the village of Forest Green, the Mill has been modernised and extended over many years.
The watermill itself was built at the beginning of the nineteenth century, continuing to operate as a corn mill until the early 1920's, at which time the grounds were bought by a wealthy widow as a site for her future residence. In 1929 the site was sold to the headmaster at St Marylebone Grammar school. From that time, the Mill become a charitable trust. The then trustees transferred the benefit of the trust to the pupils receiving an education at William Ellis School. The trustees have encouraged it's conversion, with much voluntary work, into a year-round residential field centre.
The Mill Grounds
The grounds around the Mill are virtually a nature reserve. Roe deer, rabbit, fox, hare, stoat, weasel, field vole, grey squirrel, badger and moles are all here to be seen. Birds such as green woodpecker, grey wagtail, blue tit, great tit, chiffchaff, tree creeper, buzzard and sparrow hawk can also be seen and heard. The local stream and lake provide an ideal habitat for waterfowl, kingfisher and heron. At night, the local tawny owls can be heard.