A History of The Mill
The Mill is a converted watermill building . It stands in ten acres of woodland, with meadow, lake, swamp, and stream. Located in the village of Forest Green, the mill has been modernised and extended over many years.
The watermill itself was built at the beginning of the nineteenth century, continuing to operate as a corn mill until the early 1920's, at which time the grounds were bought by a wealthy widow as a site for her future residence. In 1929, the site was sold to the headmaster of St. Marylebone Grammar School. From that time until 1981, (when the school closed), the site was used as a school camp. By that time, the mill had become a charitable trust. The then trustees transferred the benefit of the trust to the pupils receiving an education at William Ellis School. The trustees have encouraged its conversion, with much voluntary work, into a year-round residential field centre.
Wild Flowers in Spring
The Mill Grounds
The grounds around the mill are virtually a nature reserve. Roe deer, rabbit, fox, hare, stoat, weasel, field vole, grey squirrel, badger and moles are all here to be seen. Birds such as green woodpecker, grey wagtail, blue tit, great tit, chiffchaff, tree creeper, buzzard and sparrow hawk can also be seen and heard. The local stream and lake provide an ideal habitat for waterfowl, kingfisher and heron. At night, the local tawny owls can be heard.
Ancient woodlands make up much of the estate, some oak trees are approximately four hundred years old. There is a wide variety of species of trees and plants. To the observant, rare floral species can be spotted.
There are specific areas laid out for games and activities. We expect residents to respect the beauty and the tranquility of the estate by observing the boundaries within the grounds between the activity areas and the nature areas.